Click on a question below to see the relevant answer.
- Q. Why Buy a Fantasia Fan?
- A. Fantasia fans can be more expensive than others on the market but this can be explained by their many superior qualities. The silicon steel motors are larger, meaning more air movement, and have double sealed bearings to ensure durability and quiet operation. All metal finishes are double lacquered to eliminate tarnishing. Elite fans are supplied with a 15 year warranty, Fantasia fans with a 10 year warranty and Eurofans with a 5 year warranty.
- Q. Do ceiling fans require any special wiring and are they difficult to fit?
- A. A fan with or without lights can be wired into an existing lighting circuit and is a simple DIY job. If you are in any doubt then consult a qualified electrician. See our Wiring Diagrams page for more information.
- Q. Are fans noisy and do they wobble?
- A. Some competitors’ fans are noisy and wobble because they are made from lower quality materials. Fantasia fans run quietly and, even when fitted with a drop rod, are very stable.
- Q. What size fan do I need?
- A. For a room with a standard 8ft ceiling, recommended sizes are as follows:
36” fan for a room up to 12ft x 12ft
42” fan for a room up to 12ft x 14ft
52” fan for a room up to 15ft x 15ft
Two fans will usually be required for a room larger than 15ft x 15ft
For conservatories or south facing rooms we recommend that you increase the fan size relative to the room size to compensate for the higher temperatures reached in these areas.
- Q. How is the speed of the fan controlled?
- A. Fantasia fans have either a remote control, wall control or an integral pull switch to operate the 3 forward and 3 reverse speeds. Fans that come with a pull cord can be upgraded to wall control or remote control operation. If a fan does not have a pull cord then it will be supplied complete with a remote or wall control as specified.
- Q. Can fans be operated from a wall control?
- A. Fantasia fans can be operated by either a single Wall Control or, if the fan has a light, a double Wall Control/Dimmer. A standard dimmer switch cannot be used to adjust fan speeds.
- Q. How much does a fan cost to run?
- A. Fantasia fans run off the standard lighting circuit (5 amp) and are very economical to run, costing approximately 5p for 8 hours at high speed – less than a 100w light bulb. Our Low Energy ceiling fans have a DC motor and use 60% less energy consumption than our usual fans. The winter (reverse) setting on our fans re-circulates warm air trapped at ceiling level, eliminating cold spots and draughts and distributing room heat without creating a cooling draft. Used correctly, a fan can save as much as 10% on energy bills during winter months.
- Q. What is the wattage of a fan motor?
- A. The power rating of our fan motors ranges from 30 watts (low energy models) to 75 watts. The average fan motor is 65 watts. Generally speaking, the larger the fan the higher the motor wattage.
- Q. What is the minimum mounting height for a fan?
- A. The British Standards Institute recommends that the blades should be no less than 7ft 6” from the floor.
- Q. How do I work out the length of drop rod required when fitting the fan into a conservatory or high ceiling?
- A. The Drop Rod length is determined by the ceiling height. The optimum height from the floor to the blade is between 7ft6” and 9ft. Flush mounted fans will require a Conversion Kit to fit a drop rod. See our Measuring Up Guide for more information on selecting the correct drop rod.
- Q. Can fans be installed on a sloping ceiling?
- A. Fans can be installed up to an angle of 20° for 27mm drop rod fans and 30° for 22mm drop rod fans. A minimum of 6” must be allowed between the tip of the blade and the slope of the ceiling, or any other obstruction.
- Q. Does the fan require any maintenance or cleaning?
- A. All Fantasia fans have permanently sealed bearings, double lacquered surfaces and do not require maintenance. An occasional light dusting with a soft cloth is all that is required although it is suggested that all fixings/screws are tightened annually.
- Q. Can I buy a light kit at a later date?
- A. Most Fantasia fans are light adaptable and a light can be fitted at any time. The Blade is the only Fantasia fan which cannot be fitted with a light. Some fans come complete with an integral light which cannot be removed or changed – see the model specification for details. Wiring connection to the supply must be installed to our instructions – see our Wiring Diagrams section for more information. Lights are available in a wide selection of styles and finishes to complement almost any décor. See our Lighting section for more information.
- Q. Can I change the blades on my fan to a different colour?
- A. All blades are interchangeable within one particular model e.g. a Stainless Steel Mayfair fan can be fitted with blades from any other Mayfair. Blades are often interchangeable between ranges as well e.g. a Gemini fan can take a Mayfair blade. See our Blade Options page for full details. To find out if you can change the blades on your particular fan or to request a blade sample please use the Contact form or call our Sales Office on 01959 564 440.
- Q. What are the fan blades made of?
- A. The Palm and Wicker fan blades are acrylic. The Blade and Splash fan blades are ABS. The Zeta fan blades are made from eco-friendly sustainable Paulownia Wood. All other fan blades are made from fibreboards, carefully selected for their low weight, strength and stability. The blades are then coated with the appropriate finish. Only our commercial fans have metal blades and are therefore only suitable for industrial, not domestic, use.
- Q. Is there any room for which a fan is not suitable?
- A. The Bathroom is the only domestic room where we do not recommend the use of our fans.